My Blog List

Saturday 29 March 2014

Spring walk through an English village


Just the most amazing day. A cloudless sky arching overhead, and we'd made plans to go for a walk followed by tea at a village tea shop. Perfect! It was an advance Mother's Day treat for me and my Mum.



We headed to the prettiest Northamptonshire village of Wadenhoe. It is a very small village, composed of mostly old thatched houses. There is a pub, a village hall and a tea room and that's about it. It's one of those untouched villages, with no modern developments, which appears to be folded into a nook of land. 



Blossoms everywhere and purple aubretia growing on the limestone walls.



We walked across the fields.



First you cross the bridge past the old Mill.



Over the fields on the banks of the River Nene to this little church which stands alone.



Next to it is a garden, it is semi-wild, but someone obviously cares for it a bit. At the end of this garden is a beautiful, faded old red brick wall.



I love all the gates!




And another one!




The light was magical today. Bright, but without the harshness of a summer sun.



We finished off with a big pot of tea and slices of lemon cake, coffee cake and home made cinnamon tea cakes with butter and jam at The Old Barn. 

A beautiful spring day to remember.



* I've been given some more info about these beautiful donkeys! Their names are Corkey and Bruno and they are working boys, appearing on the beach at Skegness each summer. Bruno, the dark brown donkey, won an award in 2006 for beach donkey of the year. It looks like they have earned that beautiful pasture.

20 comments:

  1. What a wonderful walk, it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely walk and those donkeys are adorable x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say..... love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui. I found some old books all about fabric design at a jumble sale and there are some fab pictures inside so thought I'd use one. About to add an update about the donkeys from a blog reader:)

      Delete
  4. Happy Mothers Day. I enjoyed your lovely walk - especially love the photo of the mill. My eldest son took myself and a friend to Smallhythe Place the home of actress Ellen Terry yesterday for a Mothers Day/ Birthday treat. It was a beautiful day and we had tea in the garden. Youngest son stayed home to look after Granny so I could relax. I love your beautiful new header. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mothers Day to you, too, Karen (a little late in the day). Your trip sounds lovely, I have not heard of Smallhythe Place but I shall look it up. I spent today with my brother, as my family went to Wembley to see their football team play (it's unlikely to happen ever again, so I'll let them off for disappearing on Mothers Day!).

      Delete
  5. It looks like you had a wonderful day. We've visited Waddenhoe on a number of occasions and you are quite right, it is a beautiful, unspoilt village.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your walk and those donkeys are adorable. If I ever get to Skegness I'll say "Hello" to Corky and Bruno!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I can't imagine that there are many beach donkeys left now...

      Delete
  7. What a lovely place for a walk.. great photos... I adore donkeys and these 2 are very handsome boys :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely part of the world to live! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh what stunning pictures, we've had a blanket of fog all day up here in the North! Thanks so much for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie. I was in Sheffield today and it was misty but the sun broke through, so I hope you saw it today as well.

      Delete
  10. Looks a beautiful village, a fantastic place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely walking along by the river in all seasons.

      Delete
  11. Ooh so much to love in this little post, fiona...
    Tea rooms , old ~y world ~ y village life....blossoms and time out with Mama...
    Lucky you.......
    My goodness I've fallen in love with those two guys on the last pictures, aren't Donkey's special creatures...
    So very graceful....
    Thanks for sharing them with us all..
    Hugs maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, the donkeys are very special, we all fell for them! Thanks for visiting and for kindest words xx

      Delete