My Blog List

Tuesday 7 January 2014

A shot of colour


That's it, I've had enough. I need some colour. I'm rounding up a few images from last year to bring in the sunshine. To be fair, we did have a few rays this morning, but I couldn't take any photos because I am trying to catch up on work, and my son has taken up residence at the kitchen table to revise for his uni exams. He is going back on Saturday, so I hadn't the heart to dislodge him from his perch. 



Spring flowers 2013.



Dreaming of spring, and cake...and marmalade.





That feels better. If you are stuck at home for any reason, illness, caring for someone, looking after children, I hope these injected a bit of brightness into your day. While I've been unwell, I've done lots of reading and I have some great recommendations. They are:

* Longbourn by Jo Baker. This is Pride and Prejudice told from the perspectives of the servants below stairs. Their intrigues, their lives and the gruelling household tasks that had to be performed every day in a Regency household. I haven't finished it yet, but I am gripped. 

* The Silent Wife by ASA Harrison. A thriller, light and pacey, it will keep you turning the pages. 

* All Change by Elizabeth Jane Howard. The last in the series of the Cazalet Chronicles, a must-read if you haven't already. The author died last week, and she will be greatly missed. I love the light touch of her writing, the way she conjours up pre and post Second World War society.

* Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge. I found this in a second hand shop just before Christmas and it's a magical tale (written for children). If you like The Little White Horse, which I've blogged about before) you will love this.

* Autobiography by Morrissey. Well, I am not really sure if I recommend this or not. I love The Smiths and although I don't really enjoy pop star autobiographies as a rule, I was intrigued by his background. But he is a very difficult man to like: if I had travelled to the places he had, met the people he has and had half of his experiences, I really hope I wouldn't have turned out quite so difficult, paranoid and petty. I concluded that fame makes even the best people very weird.... 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for that shot of colour, hope things are picking up for you! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ada, I'm slowly getting better now. Once again, I'm so appreciating feeling stronger...

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling a little brighter like your images!
    Did someone say MORRISSEY....Love love love him lots.... but weird...surely not....(winking)!!
    bestest to you and thanks for the reminder about marmalade.....

    Daisy j xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, I didn't really expect the big M to be a conventional chap!

      Delete
  3. Love the pics they have brighten my day
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures. The cake looks delicious. I have just made a lemon cake for my daughter's birthday and the house smells wonderful! I hope you are feeling 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. The smell of baking lemon cake is one of my favourites...good for the soul!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely lift..I have been taking honey and lemon for a cold
    Sorry to read you have been unwell Fiona...hope you are on the mend now,
    Happy New Year
    Thea xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. just the sort of post we need. hx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Streetcomber
    I have just started reading Longbourn at the moment and am gripped too! I love Linnets and Valerians as well (but as one of my top 5 books of all time is The Little White Horse, that is only to be expected!) I enjoyed the splash of colour from your photos - what we all need at this time of year!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to see a pop of bright colour at this time of year!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, just what we need to brighten these gloomy days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious shot of colour.. many thanks for sharing the photos again.. they cheered me up :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly the bit of brightness we're all missing at the moment, thank you... will have to cross the road to the village florist and buy some! Sorry to hear you have been under the weather, hope you all make a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete