My Blog List

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Good things come to she who waits....


When our old plum tree died about five years ago, I was sad. There were great memories associated with that tree. We first moved here about 17 years ago, from a tiny terraced house in London, and it was a revelation to have a large, wild garden which backed on to open fields. In the autumn, we would pick our crop of plums and Bramley apples, and my eldest son, then a toddler, loved to feed the bullocks that clustered around the fence to watch what we were doing (and hoover up any stray windfalls). Those bullocks are long gone, and the tree subsequently died too. Rather than chop it down, I dreamed of training a white clematis over the stump, something I'd once seen in a gardening magazine. Of course, you can't hurry plants and it has taken many years for the clematis to take root and decide that it likes being beside an old plum tree. But this year, I think I can say that it is well established and we have been rewarded with a beautiful display of starry flowers.



Last night, there was a bit of golden sunshine just before dusk fell and it looked so pretty. You can see that parts of my garden are still rather wild (purely for the benefit of the bees and insects you understand!).



Gardening requires patience, something I have only recently started to appreciate. 

11 comments:

  1. How beautiful, white flowers are magical in the evening light,
    your garden sounds idyllic, I love the wild area, you are right, you cannot hurry nature but she is well worth waiting for !
    Happy week
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, and I love the fact that although the old tree is dead it is providing support for the clematis, so still useful and beautiful as well.

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your clematis looks lovely. I planted a white Montana clematis a few years ago. It did nothing for the first two years and I threatened to grub it up. On the third year it burst into life and now threatens to take over the garden. : ) I wouldn't be surprised if your clematis does the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debs, yes this is a Montana so I hope you are right! I'd be delighted if it took over :)

      Delete
  4. I love what you have done and it looks so beautiful and will become more so as the years pass. Keeping the plum tree also allows for insects to have a home. I have done the same with a huge eucalyptus tree that didn't survive the harsh winter a couple of years ago. Me, and the birds, loved it and I cannot bear to cut it down so have planted it with a rambling rose and clematis but, like you, have to be patient and wait for them to cast their magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good point about the insects having a home. A rambling rose would be beautiful.

      Delete
  5. Oh these pictures are gorgeous you can see how the flowers are glowing in the light. Great idea - a proper bit of garden recycling! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect home for a clematis to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog so a late comment sorry... what beautiful photos you have... your white montana reminded me of the one we planted to grow up an old cherry tree, after a couple of years it hung down from the branches in long garlands, it was lovely, so I'm sure your stump will probably be completely clothed in another year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful....some things are worth waiting for! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful way to remember the apple picking.

    ReplyDelete