My Blog List

Sunday 25 March 2012

A walk in a spring garden

I often drive past this amazing garden, but it belongs to a private house, with locked gates, barely visible from the road. When I saw that it was going to be open today, I had to go. I was completely knocked out by its beauty. The  day was completely still, not a breath of wind, and all I could hear was the buzzing of bees and the scent of spring flowers was in the air. 
The sight that made everyone stop in their tracks were these hyacinths, growing in the grass. Pink, blue and white.


Masses of daffodils and narcissi everywhere.






You can just see a small stone bridge at the top of this shot. I drive over that a lot, and had no idea that this was behind it. There is a beautiful church, too.


Some hidden gems in the grass...
And the house is pretty impressive, too.


But this little stone boat house would suit me just fine...




The day, the peace, and the place, reminds me of this poem, by WB Yeats (The Isle of Innisfree):


I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade...





2 comments:

  1. I love your photos. Spring is always so uplifting and particularly this year with the weather so heavenly. I too live in Northamptonshire and believe it is a truly beautiful county which is sometimes dismissed out of hand as just a passing place to get from one end of the country to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. Yes, I agree that Northamptonshire is underrated, we have some beautiful villages, houses small and large, meadows, fields and rivers.

    ReplyDelete