My Blog List

Sunday 3 April 2011

A day outside

When my family asked me what I wanted to do for Mother's Day, I knew straight away. I wanted to go to the plant nursery and buy some things for the garden, and then have some help with starting to set our plot to rights. I have a love/hate relationship with our garden. It is a very large, open expanse, which overlooks a pasture. It's beautiful. But it is very wild and although I don't like very manicured gardens, I've never managed to get on top of it at all. Although I am very,very appreciative of what we have, I long to tame it a little more.
My younger son was very keen to help me today, and he set about digging his vegetable patch. At nearly 13, he's getting stronger now, and he was great. My husband doesn't get enthused by projects like I do, but he's happy to lend a hand, so he joined the team as well. Older son was closeted away doing GCSE revision, so he was excused...

When the hard labour gets a bit boring, a bit of bedding always helps to cheer things up with some instant colour. We dug over our vegetable plots, planted some early seeds and herbs, and took a big pile of weeds to the tip (our compost heaps are already overflowing).
Fuelled by plenty of cups of tea (in my new Anthropologie cup), it's a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment